Can Ports act as drivers for a more efficient and greener transport policies?
SUPAIR - Sustainable ports in the Adriatic-Ionian Region is a 24-month-long ADRION-ETC project that responds to such challenge by improving the ability of port authorities to assess the negative externalities caused by their port operations and to plan and implement measures to become a sustainable port.
7 are the Ports involved: Bar, Durres, Koper, Piraeus and Thessaloniki, Trieste and Venice, coordinated by 3 scientific supervisors: Area Science Park (Leader Partner of the project), VIU Venice International University and Centre for Research and Technologies of Hellas (CERTH).
VIU Venice International University coordinated the realization of the 7 Action Plans promoting solutions identified by the Port Authorities aimed at reducing the environmental impacts of shipping and onshore port operations. Each port focused on specific areas of interest that cover different fields of action. Among them:
- Clean Energy Investment & use of renewable energy resources
- Diagnosis of energy performance of port buildings
- Revitalization of Green Spaces
- Recycling Plan for a Sustainable Port
- Measurement of noise at the border between the city and the port
- Increase the use of green transport modes
- Design of a Smart Traffic Management Tool
- Deployment of an onshore power supply system (OPS)
- Study of underwater flows and water quality in port’s basins
- Monitoring the GHG and air pollutant emissions produced by vessels traffic
The realization of the 7 Action Plans put the basis for a common transnational strategy for low carbon transport systems in the Adriatic-Ionian basin though the setting-up of transnational cooperation network among the SUPAIR partners for exchanging good practices regarding soft and hard environmentally friendly solutions for a greener, safer and more efficient transport system.
PROJECT COORDINATOR: Area Science Park
CONSORTIUM: Port Network Authority of the Eastern Adriatic Sea / North Adriatic Sea Port Authority / Venice International University / Luka Koper, port and logistic system, public limited company / Port of Bar Holding Company / Durres Port Authority / Centre for Research and Technology Hellas / Piraeus Port Authority S.A. / Thessaloniki Port Authority SA