Today we are facing important global challenges in terms of climate change, political transitions, population increase, energy access, health issues that pose Security at the center of a common reflection.
The environmental, social and economic pillars are the framework of sustainable development. In order to preserve the environment and guarantee the needs of future generations, environmental management needs to combine several aspects such as waste management, water quality, air monitoring, pollution prevention, sustainable agriculture, food safety & security, energy & energy efficiency, urban innovation, both at a global and local scale. With a growing population worldwide, those aspects can significantly contribute to secure peace and wellbeing.
In the last 10 years, VIU has developed research and capacity-building projects focused on studying and disseminating knowledge about strategies and the dynamics of environmental management and security in terms of environmental protection, transboundary issues, natural disasters and energy security.
Researchers with different backgrounds (e.g. economics, environmental sciences, law) are involved in those projects, thus contributing to highlight the multiple factors involved. The scale of the projects carried out in this area ranges from local to international.
- To promote capacity building for professionals and policy makers on topics of environmental management
- To strengthen the dialogue among scientific, corporate and governmental institutions in order to ensure collaboration in facing environmental management and security challenges
- To promote interdisciplinary approach to integrate economic, environmental and social aspects when dealing with those issues
In line with VIU methodology, networking and building communities around discussion topics is at the basis of our approach to projects, with the aim to activate competencies in a variety of disciplines. Our projects on this focus area are built around:
- Capacity building to policy makers and professionals as short training sessions addressing a specific topic approached through a multi-disciplinary perspective. In-class sessions and site visits supports the adopted methodology.
- Communication and Dissemination on research results to different stakeholders, e.g. policy makers, business community, citizens, scientists.
- Research on policy and strategies on environmental management, including economic aspects and consumers' behaviour.
In line with VIU's mission and commitment to promote Sustainable Development and the 17 Goals of the United Nations 2030 Agenda, this Focus Area addresses the following: